Saturday, January 24, 2009

100 Things

1. I’ve hesitated to do one of these lists because I don’t want to be a self-indulgent person
2. But I’ve really liked reading the ones my friends have done, so I’m doing it anyway
3. I make kick-ass fudge.
4. I’m afraid of caterpillars.
5. I married way younger than I thought I would.
6. If it’s fried, then it must taste good.
7. I’ve been told that I look younger and act older than my years.
8. I tend to be impulsive with major decisions and stupidly indecisive with minor ones.
9. My zodiac signs are almost all Capricorn and Aries
10. I’ve never been to the southern hemisphere
11. I’ve illegally crossed an international border once just for fun.
12. I’m afraid of flying, but I do it anyway.
13. I want to try skydiving at least once.
14. I don’t like being around drunk or pregnant people because I am afraid of vomit, and those demographics vomit with alarming frequency.
15. I don’t like using airplane, bus station, or airport bathrooms because those seem to be the most likely places where one’s neighbor will be vomiting.
16. Fear of vomit is called ‘emetophobia’…I like words.
17. I like scrabble
18. I can’t cheat at scrabble…rather I can cheat too well, so it feels really wrong when I do and I don’t like it.
19. I do cheat at cards.
20. I’m a lousy speller.
21. Cancer is my family’s usual ticket off this mortal coil. But we have strong hearts…
22. I fear growing old. Rather I fear being trapped in a broken-down body with a working mind.
23. I think I want to be a professor when I grow up.
24. I want to be a mom someday.
25. I love snorkeling, but scuba-diving scares me. Likewise being in a submarine.
26. I have no desire to go into outer space even if touristic space travel becomes possible.
27. I like breathing when things go wrong. (see above)
28. I really want to invest in the stock market right now.
29. I’m an artist.
30. I love art that other people make.
31. I am generally forgiving.
32. I am generally for giving.
33. I like feeding my friends.
34. I enjoy hosting parties, but get nervous about going to them.
35. I don’t think I’m terribly smart, but I am very well-educated.
36. I am a literary omnivore. Pulp and classics make me equally happy.
37. I am sucker for grocery store check-out line tabloids.
38. I have crooked toes.
39. I love manicures and pedicures, but hardly ever get them.
40. I love vintage.
41. 80’s in NOT vintage.
42. I feel most confident in boots.
43. I am a hypocritical vegetarian.
44. I studied abroad both in high school and in college. High school was a summer study in Belize; college was a semester in England.
45. I won a grant to travel the world for 8.5 months 2007-2008.
46. I have walked across Spain (The Camino de Santiago).
47. I loved it and want to do it again.
48. I have outrun a rockslide in Nepal.
49. I have never seen Everest.
50. I really want to do an extended trip in Mongolia.
51. Also South America.
52. And Australia.
53. And New Zealand.
54. And Africa.
55. And…And…And…
56. I do not believe in packing more than I can carry while running for a train.
57. I love animals.
58. I used to have a pet chicken.
59. My parents thought I would outgrow my love of horses.
60. I haven’t.
61. I still sleep with Rosetta the Brontosaurus and Freddie the Pony.
62. I sometimes take the local train if I think there might not be any seats on the express.
63. I am the only person I know who likes anchovies on their pizza.
64. There are things about me that will most certainly not be on this list.
65. I’ve never had an imaginary friend for more than a day or two.
66. The monster under my bed had green scales and red nails
67. I still believe in faeries, unicorns, etc
68. Daffodils are my favorite flower
69. I’d rather visit the dentist than the gynecologist.
70. I thought I wanted to be physics major with an astronomy track when I started college
71. When I was little, I thought I wanted to be a vet
72. I am neither of those things.
73. I study constellation maps for fun, and if I lived somewhere that ever got dark, I would probably get myself a telescope
74. I miss the dark
75. I’m a little afraid of the dark
76. Morally I would like to be a vegan, but my favorite foods are almost all dairy and seafood
77. Except fresh fruit. I really like fruit.
78. I am a shameless eavesdropper and over-the-shoulder reader.
79. I sing “Showertime” to the tune of “Hammertime” almost every time I get in the shower.
80. I sing “Scrub It” to the tune of “Whip It” when I scrub the tub.
81. I do not sing in public.
82. I don’t like sleeping alone.
83. I love caffeine.
84. I prefer my beer and my chocolate dark.
85. If I don’t have almond or vanilla extract when baking, I substitute liquors.
86. Sometimes I mispronounce words just for fun.
87. If I don’t know the answer to a question, I’m likely to make something up.
88. I have a mean streak which I generally keep to myself.
89. I like being outside
90. I try to live by the golden rule.
91. I get upset when other people don’t.
92. I am decidedly left in my political leanings.
93. I have lived long enough in black and Hispanic working-class neighborhoods that I get nervous in expensive white ones.
94. Waiting in line annoys me.
95. I am almost always late.
96. I hate running late.
97. I don’t like, and generally don’t forward chain letters, but it makes me nervous not to.
98. I get anxiety attacks without feeling anxious…all the physical symptoms, but with a thoroughly detached mental state.
99. I believe in luck.
100. I found this list way harder to fill than I thought it would be.

No comments: